Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Step-Over v2

The Step-Over v2


One of the first freestyle soccer trick that caught my eye, the step over is definitely one of the more eye catching tricks. Here I’d like to share my own personal experience in learning the trick, with step by step methods and how to practice this trick and eventually master it, so that I could pull it off during matches. Firstly, before starting to practice, I’d make sure that I’d have warmed up and done the necessary stretching. As the step over requires you use the whole leg from the groin and thigh area all the way to the ankle and in some cases the heel.

After watching some videos of players performing this trick, I noticed that there are several ‘types’ of step overs, firstly the famous Robinho step-over, where robinho lowers his body to lower the center of gravity while somewhat closing himself down towards the ball, making it quite hard to tackle. He seems to be bending and using the knee more rather than using more of the thigh and groin to rotate around or over the ball. In my opinion, this would suit players who are smaller in size and length. Anyway, since I’ve got some free time now, I’ve decided to sharpen my step over skills and start all over from scratch.

Basically, the step-over creates time and space for a player who is up against a defending player. While being a very catchy skill, it can sometimes be very risky and unforgiving if its done in the circumstances. Next on, I’ll put up steps and methods that I’d try when practicing this skill. Stay tuned for more in the next post.

No comments: